Igbo Union of Canada was formed by all the Igbo speaking states of Nigeria living in Greater Toronto Area of Canada. Each state organization is represented by their president to ensure continued and unflinching support for the union and to demonstrate categorically that the States are the Stakeholders in Igbo Union. Each state has also appointed a member representative to run the organization.
The Igbo Union has no president and therefore no need to waste resources running elections. However, when all the representatives appointed by each state to run the affairs of the union get together, they conduct election within the small group and assign leadership roles.
The Igbo Union is not a political party but rather a community based organization determined to advance the course of Igbo people and essentially propagate the Igbo culture around the wold. The core aim of Igbo union is to unite all Igbo people in Canada and bring to bear the traditional Igbo fellowship. We strongly discourage anyone with political or personal agenda from joining the Igbo Union organization.
WHY IGBO UNION
- At Igbo Union of Canada everyone’s opinion counts
- We foster and propagate Igbo cultural heritage- Onye biri iber ya biri, onye si ibe ya ebi, nku kwaya nku
- A the Igbo community in Toronto, we demonstrate the resolve to succeed as a community setting and driving our goals as a team
- We respect the our elders and endeavour to pass those values to our younger generation
- We believe that community service is a service to humanity and God, we do so with utmost resolve
THREE LEVELS OF GOVERNANCE
1. The Executive – Representation of all the Igbo States of Nigeria
2. The Board of Governors – The Presidents of all Igbo State Associations
3. The Council of Elders
I pledge to work for the service, goals and aspirations of the Igbo people in Canada by cooperating with all elected and appointed members of this organization in forming and developing true and perfect ideals for the benefit of the Igbo community and never for personal interest or self aggrandizement, so help me God.